Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Appeal of the Picture Book

Author: Gene Zion
Illustrator: Margaret Bloy Graham
Publisher: HarperCollins Childrens Books
Publish Date: 1956
ISBN: 0060268654


I am writing this blog from a local playground while I am watching my children play. I actually can't think of a better place to be; away from the dirty dishes in the sink, the pile of bills by the computer and the ten loads of laundry I need to start, to remember what it is like to be a child.

As adults, we become burdened with responsibilities that hinder our abilities to look at something with the fresh eyes of a child. Now, as I watch my children run and laugh with unadulterated fun, I try to bring myself back to my childhood as I eye the pile of picture books sitting next to me from a child's perspective.

I can remember, as a young girl, playing in my backyard dirt pile that used to be my mother's garden. I loved making mud pies and burying treasures to be discovered at a later date. As much as I loved getting dirty, I loathed the bath time that always followed. I guess that is why I always felt connected to Harry of Harry and the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion.

A good picture book must speak to the readers experiences. Just as I would do everything in my power to avoid bath time, so does Harry. He runs away from home and gets dirty, dirtier and dirtiest until "he changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots". Most children can connect to Harry as becoming dirty seems to be at the top of their "list of things to do" on a daily basis.

A good picture book must also use illustrations hand in hand with the text. Margaret Bloy Graham created pastel-washed drawing to successfully enhance Gene Zion's text. Her simple, but lively, pictures brings Harry and his adventures to life. They are also a useful tool in using prediction or sequencing during a read aloud.

But, to be a great picture book, like Harry the Dirty Dog, it must work on both levels. An adult must be able to perform, out loud, a story filled with thoughtful words, repetition and rhythm crafted by a skilled author. At the children's level, a picture book must capture, through its words and illustrations, the heart and soul of a child who feels things in the most basic of ways.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with the last paragraph of your post, Sarah...especially your use of the word 'perform.' Because early-childhood students understand and comprehend concepts in the most basic of ways, performing is a great way to pique their interest and motivate them to seek out books on their own. Puppetry is a great way to get across to this audience. Folkmanis (http://folkmanis.com) is a FANTASTIC company that has the most high quality puppets. These work with young kids. Finger puppets, hand puppets...whatever. Kids LOVE puppets. I think you would love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to you in reagards to the personal experiences with both your children and to the book. I too remember making the mud pies but in my culture they were cabbage rolls I was making with maple leaves. I also remember this exact book being read to me from my kindergarten teacher and was so excited reading it to my own students. The response I get from this book is incredible. The children find it so fascinating of how the dog changes colors and really empathize with him when his family can't recognize him. Great choice! Always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete